Utility Billing

As a new utility customer to the City of Dundee, you may be interested in learning more about the City's utility system and billing cycle.

The System

The City of Dundee obtains its water from wells located around the city and from a well field located on the hill. Wastewater is treated at the Wastewater Treatment Plant located off of Fulquartz Landing Road.

The City's system consists of pipes located in the ground. Separate pipes carry water to your property, carry sewer away from your property, and also carry stormwater run-off.

The City's water system ends at the water meter, which is located in a concrete box near the edge of your driveway close to the street. In the older sections of Dundee, some of these meter boxes are located elsewhere. If you need to know where your meter box is, and are having trouble locating it, you can call Public Works for help at 503-538-6700.

The lines from the meter box into your home, and the lines carrying sewer from your house to the property line, are part of your property and therefor are your responsibility.

Signing Up for Service

In order to begin utility service to your property, you must first complete an application. Applications are available at Dundee City Hall, located at 620 SW 5th Street, or through the mail by calling 503-538-3922 and requesting one be sent to you.


By signing the application form, you agree to:

  • Be responsible for all charges for service;
  • Pay all utility bills promptly in accordance with City schedule;
  • Comply with and be bound by such ordinances, rules, regulations, and rate schedules as may be established by the City Council; and
  • Notify the City if service is no longer required due to the sale of property on or before the closing date of the home.

The City charges a $15.00 account set up fee.

Renters are required to pay a $125.00 deposit and the home owner must co-sign the application before services can be transferred.  

Billing Cycle

Generally, the Public Works Department reads your meter between the 22nd and 25th of every month. Utility Bills are then generated and mailed the 1st of the month and due on the 25th. Charges will become delinquent the 26th of the following month.

Delinquent Accounts

If you are having trouble paying your utility bill, please contact Melody Osborne, Utility Billing Clerk, at 503-538-3922 to make payment arrangements as soon as possible.

If you fail to pay your bill by the 26th day of the month following the billing cycle, you will receive a notation on your utility bill notifying you that your account is delinquent. A $2.00 notice fee is also applied to your account.

If payment is not made by the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 2:00pm, a 24-hour notice is hung on your door advising you that water service will be terminated the next day if payment is not received. A $25.00 fee is also assessed to your account.

If payment is still not received by the date and time listed on the door hanger, your water will be shut-off due to non-payment and a $25.00 reconnect fee will be assessed. Customers may then be required to pay their account in full before water will be restored.

Extensions will be granted on a case-by-case basis and in no circumstances will be extended beyond the 25th of the month, unless a payment plan has been entered into and approved by the City of Dundee.

Unexplained Increase in Water Consumption

Occasionally, you might get a bill which seems high. Before you call the City, please check for a running toilet, a dripping faucet or a break in the sprinkler system (soggy spots in the lawn).

It is also possible for you to check the meter to see if the dial is turning. If you are unfamiliar with how to do this, please call Public Works at 503-538-6700 and they can talk you through it, or call City Hall at 503-538-3922 and request a leak check.

The City of Dundee is unable to locate leaks for you, however if you need help locating someone that does perform this service, call Public Works at 503-538-6700.

Termination of Service

We request that you contact the City before you move. We will need to know the closing date for the sale of your property (or the day that you moved if you are a renter) and a forwarding address.

Failure to pay your final bill will result in additional collection efforts.


Regulations for Utility Billing

Read Dundee Municipal Code 13.04, regarding the billing and collection of utility charges here.

Read Resolution 2009-02 regarding set-up fees, deposits, and delinquency charges here.